POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature idea: Superpixel Antialiasing : Re: Feature idea: Superpixel Antialiasing Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature idea: Superpixel Antialiasing
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 22 Sep 2003 10:30:24
Message: <3f6f0780$1@news.povray.org>
> How do you imagine to "know" in renderer that pigment used on sky has less
or
> more details from applied turbilence ?

The same way antialiasing works. Shoot at the
four edges and find a great difference in color.

I for one first thought that someone was explaining
mosaic preview, then I saw that it was Rune who
wrote, then I read on.

I find the idea rather attractive, and I'd guess that
anyone able to look at the source-code and understand
antialiasing could tweak that to do the super-pixeling
Rune has proposed, though I'm not expert and could
be wrong there.

I always liked Mosaic-Previews, but Rune's idea
is even better. After all, you do several passes with
POV-Ray until you've set up camera, lighting etc,
during that time one could easily adjust the superpixeling
to the needs of that render, and later on, save time
by just copy-paste.

If there's someone out there capable of doing that in
a clean and efficient way, we might go rebel against
the POV-Team and have them introduce it into the
official version very quickly! ;-)
I rather like using the Official Version, and have only
used MegaPOV once to experiment a little with
isosurfaces and photons, when I knew that POV 3.5
would get them, just as background why I'd go rebel... :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de

> > Sort of, yes. The problems with the current mosaic preview are that it
> > is not adaptive, and that the mosaic samples are wasted in the end,
> > since the final pass goes all from scratch.
>
> What about rendering with lower image dimensions and double click in
WinPOV on
> title bar of render window ? Then you have antialiased boxes in enlarged
> window ;-)
>
> > Furthermore, mosaic previews
> > are of no use when you want to make a test *animation* render.
>
> Hmm, In this case I would render with lower resolution and order mpeg
encoder
> to rescale frames to desired dimensions to not waste space on drive for
larger
> images. At leas TMPG has rescaling of frames. Of course this could be
always
> done in mpeg player with rescaling window. Or perhaps I did not understood
> your problem...
>
> > the superpixel antialiasing render is
> > meant to finish rendering, and it only uses samples where there actually
> > *are* details
>
> How do you imagine to "know" in renderer that pigment used on sky has less
or
> more details from applied turbilence ?
>
> ABX

---